PC Strand (Pre-Stressed Concrete’s Strands) are formed with seven steel wires.
one central wire called a core or king wire around which the other six are wrapped.
They are generally supplied already stabilized
(low relaxation) and certified according to
the regulations by an independent laboratory,
in coils weighing kg 2500-3000.
All strand should be Grade 1860 MPa.
Low relaxation, seven-wire strand
conforming to the requirements
of ASTM A416 or BS-5896
“Standard Specification for Steel Strand,
Un-coated Seven Wire Strand for Pre-Stressed Concrete.
Strands is most commonly available
in two nominal sizes. – 12.7mm (0.5in) diameter
& 15.24mm (0.6in) diameter according to ASTM A416.
– 15.7mm (0.6in) diameter according to BS-5896. Strands may also be greased or waxed strands,
encased in a HDPE sheath.
theremore, commonly called un-bonded,
epoxy coated and epoxy coated un-bonded strands.
Advantages of PC Strand
PC Strands have lots of advantages:
– High bonding force.
– Stable modulus of elasticity.
– Reducing the occurrence of cracks.
– High tensile strength and
– Larger slab spans allowing fewer columns.
– Better performance at elevated temperature.
– Reducing distortion and construction weight.
– Increasing the abrasion resistance,
water resistance, stiffness.
– Higher fatigue, higher breaking loads,
higher corrosion resistance.
– Significant reduction in building
weight versus a conventional concrete building.
– Savings in materials (concrete and steel)
& shorter lead times due to fast installation.
– Allowing extremely long span bridges
to be constructed without the use
of temporary intermediate supports.
– minimizes the impact on the environment
and avoids disruption
to water or road traffic below.
PC strand can increase the highways’
stability and crack resistance.
In Addition, PC strand can
expand the bridges’ life span and with
high bonding force
and high tensile strength.
Applications of PC Strand
PC Strand is applied to pre-stressed concrete structures for example,